In recognition of our commitment to safety Power Plant Hire were only the second hire company in Ireland to be awarded the prestigious Safe-Hire award by the Hire Association of Europe. We first received the award in 2003 and have retained the award annually since then which makes us one of only 5 Irish companies with this accreditation for safety and reliability.
To achieve the award and maintain our accreditation we have to undergo a rigorous inspection on an annual basis which includes a long and detailed check that our operation meets stringent Safety and Quality criteria. These checks include ensuring compliance under Health & Safety law, Consumer Protection law and Environmental Protection law.The independent SafeHire assessors carry out a detailed examination including a review of the servicing and testing procedures implemented to make sure that all equipment is safe before it is hired. They also check to ensure that all customers are provided with proper safety instructions.
We achieve these standards by:
- Providing only the most modern equipment from leading manufacturers for hire or sale
- Prefering safe products in equipment selection such as anti-vibration, super-silenced and low emissions.
- Safety leaflets are provided with each hire.
- All equipment is inspected and tested before each hire and written proof is provided of the test.
Power Plant is proud to be a member of Hire Association Europe (HAE) – the leading trade body for the hire and rental industry. HAE is a combination of two leading hire sector trade associations – HAE, which was founded in 1974, to represent the hire sector and the more recently formed Event Hire Association (EHA), both representing member businesses principally in the UK and Ireland with some members further afield. The Associations bring together members from across the hire supply chain; HAE with membership from tool, equipment and plant and EHA with membership from audio visual, catering, inflatable, marquee and portable sanitation hire specialists. Supplier members also add a valuable component to the Associations.
The Associations offer guidance to members to assist in improving industry standards and support campaigns to increase the awareness of the benefits of hire to end users. HAE EHA act in partnership with government agencies and serve the hire industry through influencing on behalf of the membership. HAE EHA plays a strategic role in supporting the promotion and protection of the hire and rental industry and is constantly striving to raise the industry standards.
What is SafeHire?
The SafeHire Private Standard was developed and written with the assistance of BSi – The British Standards Institution; HSE – Health and Safety Executive and CHAS – Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme with CHAS being fully committed to the principles of SSIP – Safety Schemes in Procurement.
Achievement of the standard is dependent upon successful assessment and, unlike other quality standards, on-site verification of our members’ policies and management systems for:
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Health, Safety and Welfare
- Occupational Health
- Environment and Sustainability
- Business Risk, Insurance and Financial Control
- Document Control and Data Protection
- HR and Employment Law compliance
- Training and Competence Assurance
- Management of Contractors / Suppliers
Steps to achieving this process are:
- Written commitment to the process at application
- Successful desktop assessment of documentary evidence of policies, procedures and management systems by a team of independent assessors
- Satisfactory on-site verification checks at Head Office and selected operating branches
Assessors are trained to review the documents on site and more importantly to test the impact / effectiveness of these including:
- interviewing employees of all levels to ensure the company policy is truly “built in”
- Sampling key process paperwork for accuracy and effective data management e.g. hire contracts, customer service management systems and training records
- Inspecting and testing “ready for hire” equipment from all product categories offered
Audit results include scoring of each audit element with one of three options: Conformance, Opportunity to Improve or Non-Conformance. SafeHire Certification is valid for three years with interim annual on-site assessments carried out at selected operating branches and to ensure that any elements identified as Opportunities to Improve are implemented.
Hire Association Europe (HAE) is an internationally recognised leading body for the development of the hire and rental industry. It sets and promotes excellence by providing comprehensive professional development and training, education, support materials, resources and information services of the highest quality. It is a modern, forward thinking Association dedicated to keeping the industry abreast of new technology and best business practice.
If you require further information about the SafeHire Private Standard, our membership or other activities of the trade association please contact our Operations Manager: Gill Bridger – firstname.lastname@example.org mobile number 07718 701324